Sunday, January 24, 2010

What If?

What if I didn't have an assistant in the library?  How would our program change? I am having a hard time even thinking about where to start--it would truly change our program for the worse, in many and every way possible.
1.  We'd have to limit open library visitation.  Students could only visit the library during their library class time.
2.  We'd limit the number of books students could check out based on how many books I could shelve in a day.
3.  Teacher services (putting in videos, pulling books, etc.) would have to stop.
4.  Reading programs would have to be reworked and scaled-down.
5.  All the "extras" I do (website manager, morning studio, newsletter editor, SCA adviser) would have to stop.

How could we make it work? Perhaps by taking the library out of the specials rotation and making it a completely flexible schedule.  I'd have time to collaborate with teachers and develop research units.

The county to the south of us has just announced plans to eliminate 131 positions for next year.  The county to the east of us is planning to eliminate library aides at the elementary level (and ALL sports!).  It's not long before this nightmare might become a reality in my district.

1 comment:

Jinxie said...

That's just INSANE!!!!!!! I can't even imagine! There was never a time during the entire day when I wasn't doing SOMEthing!!!! I hope this doesn't happen to you, that would just be too much of a blow. For you AND for the school. :(