Tuesday, January 19, 2010

amazon PRIME!

Thank goodness for Amazon PRIME shipping! I usually get my books the second day after ordering them, but my fabulous copy of the Caldecott Award-winning book The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney arrived today, barely 24 hours after ordering it! Thank you, UPS and Amazon-shipping gods.

Sure, call me late to the party, call me a bandwagon-jumper, it's okay.  I know. I am not usually a huge Jerry Pinkney fan (his watercolors, while beautiful, just aren't my favorite illustrative style). But this book is beautiful!  The simple and gentle way he tells the fable is just perfect. 

I think my love of it comes from two different things: first, I recently read his version of Little Red Riding Hood to our primary kids.  (I like this version, even though it's a bit gruesome.  Little Red is a character of color (!) and the story is set in winter--which makes a whole lot more sense as to why Red is trapsing through the woods to see her sick grandma.) It's classic Pinkney, and other than those two things I just mentioned, nothing about the book stands out to me. 

The second event is that I have just finished up 18 readings of Once Upon a Banana with the kids, a fabulously fun wordless book.  So I am in the mood for more good wordless books, and I love it when things just work out.  See? It looks like I planned to do a wordless book unit with the kids, or maybe a Jerry Pinkney sandwich (with a little David Small in the middle!). I'm good like that.

No comments: