Sunday, January 10, 2010

Lesson Planning

What else is new? Well, actually, I feel really guilty that my lesson plan book has been mostly blank for the last three weeks.  Don't get the wrong idea: I've had meaningful lessons for my students and I have been aligned with the state standards!  No worries there!
I have just been lax about writing down what I've been doing.  Some of the grade levels are in the middle of a several-rotation project, so it's not that I'd have written down anything except "Native American research, week 4" anyway.  Although there was one rotation of third grade that I couldn't for the life of me remember what we'd done.  I had to do some serious mental stretching to remember back to the first week of December.
I am back on track now.  Everything is at least caught up; several grade levels are planned well ahead of this rotation (which begins on Monday).
I worked at school for about 3 hours today and got a lot done.  One of the exciting things that I took off my to-do list was to copy my lessons for a fellow LMS.  Here's her email:
Hello,

I was at the [state] conference and I loved some of the ideas that you all
shared. I am brand new to the library this year, and I was wondering if
you had any other great ideas that you would be willing to share? I am
looking for as much help as I can get.
Thanks so much,
C. F.
How nice was that?!?! I emailed her back and got some more information and then just decided to copy all of my grade level lesson folders for her.  This way, she'll have all my other great ideas as well as my not-so-great ones.  (C'mon, they can't all be fabulous!)
In other news, I'm working out a new lesson for our third graders.  They have to know about Cesar Chavez this year.  (?!?!) My friend Lynne Farrell Stover developed a lesson using this book.  I am excited to read the book and do the economics lesson that goes with it, AND help out our third grade teachers at the same time.

No comments: