Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 5

Today was Day 5.  It's the fifth day I've done this set of lessons.  I am, simply, tired of saying the same things over and over.  Day 1 is always a little rough, not too bad, but it's the first time I'm teaching the lesson.  Days 2 & 3 are great--I'm in a groove.  Days 4-6 just keep going downhill.  I just get tired of saying the same exact things again and again.  It's the first time for the kids, and I try to keep that in mind, but I'm just tired today.
We've been reading Once Upon a Banana by Jennifer Armstrong and David Small in kindergarten, first, and second grades this rotation.  It's really fun, since it's a wordless book, and the students, all of those grades, love the story. To do it with the classes, I show the book using the projector.  We can see all of the details better than if I held the book in front of the kids. 
Yesterday, as I read the author's and illustrator's names to the students, the thought hit me that I wasn't exactly sure what the author did for this story.  Did she write the plot the way the students and I tell the story from looking at the pictures?  Did she go to David Small and say, "I have this idea about a rogue monkey who litters and craziness ensues, and it happens all around a city block and there are a ton of characters"? I'm just not sure how that works with a wordless book.  Maybe she outlined the story and then the illustrator sketched her ideas? I'd like to know! David, Jennifer: do you google your names? Maybe you'll get a google alert and check the blog and let me know!

No comments: