Monday, January 4, 2010

Wet books :(

I could cry.  Over the Christmas holiday, sometime after the Blizzard of '09 as our 16+ inches of snow melted, a leak formed in two corners of our library.  One corner leaked all over the mounted TV and zapped it.  No big loss.  I can easily live without TV in the library--hardly use it at all, actually.
The leak in the second corner, was, however, much more devastating.  Two entire cases of books.  10 shelves in all, were destroyed.  Completely-waterlogged-and-molding-already-destroyed. My principal and I found it at the same time this morning, and he was even more upset than I was.  He just kept pulling books off the shelves and saying, "no more...no more damage!" as I stood there shaking my head. 
He made all the right phone calls and soon our library was swarmed with people from maintenance, central office, and the construction crews.  One man took pictures and let me know what I'd need to do next, which is to print a list of all the destroyed books and AV equipment so he could submit it to our insurance company.
Unfortunately, we have $1,000 deductible, so we won't be able to replace everything, but hopefully, I'll at least get to replace the most popular titles.
Such a sad start to 2010.

2 comments:

Jinxie said...

That is devastating. :( Which section was involved?? I am so, so sorry. I feel just sick about it.

Neil Richard said...

And I thought my chest cold was a bad start to my new year. This sucks even worse.