Thursday, April 30, 2009

It's so peaceful here!! (not)

OMG My head is still pounding. What a day. We had our reading parties today--pizza parties for about 60 kids. I pre-ordered the pizza from our local Domino's yesterday, and tried and tried to call all morning (from 10:45 on) to double-check the order and give the school's credit card number. No one picked up, and about 25 minutes before we needed the pizzas, my assistant suggested I drive to the store and find out what was going on. Why she didn't think of this sooner, I don't know. (kidding--she is so awesome!) As I am race-car-driving to Domino's, I continued calling. I finally got through and the man told me he'd just arrived and that our order would be late. How late? I asked. 15 minutes, he said. You can get 20 pizzas to me in 30 minutes? I asked. Yes ma'am, he said. Call me crazy, but I didn't believe him. I drove into Little Caesar's and asked them for whatever they had "Hot and Ready". I got enough for one class and held my breath that Domino's would come through. We finally got the pizza, 45 minutes late. Domino's didn't charge us, which I totally appreciated, and I suppose it was a Herculean effort to even get them in that amount of time, but now I know not to count on Domino's again. When I got back from my outing to the pizza place, the library was roaring. Not roaring with the sound of children--roaring from something on the roof that was very, VERY loud. It went on for hours. We had to shout to each other across the library all afternoon. I had such a headache! It turns out that it was the AC motor, and it finally went kaput around 2:45. I just can't tell you how loud it was, except that when it finally quit, the silence was killing me! Of course, the maintenance man walked through the library literally 3 minutes after it died, so he didn't get to hear all the roaring and had to take our word for it. Tomorrow is Space Day, so there will be more excitement and craziness at school. I am already exhausted just thinking about it.

No comments: