Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Movin' on Up!

Today, I did something very exciting. I got to speak to a college class of prospective elementary teachers about the library. About how they should hopefully use the library and librarian in their future schools. My number one focus was that librarians are instructional partners. I described how we can partner with them for student success. I talked to them about how our lessons correlate with what they are teaching in the classroom, and how we can collaborate to create meaningful lessons for students. We spent a little bit of time talking about censorship and book challenges. That was interesting, mostly because I recently read an article from SLJ on self-censorship that has really stuck with me. I feel very guilty about certain choices I've made, especially And Tango Makes Three. My good friend Henry Cole illustrated it, and I love the book, and I own a copy, but I have chosen not to put it in the library because I am worried about parents' reactions. And I know it is wrong. I was very excited about getting to talk to a college class. Here was a funny thing on the campus tonight: there is a biannual speaker series, and it was tonight. The guest speaker was Sam Donaldson. And me! Just not to the same audience.

No comments: