Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Let Down

I am feeling so let down today. It is a sad feeling that I've not shaken yet, even though it happened at 9 this morning.
One of my duties is to run the morning announcements. We have a cast of fifth graders, a fifth grade camera man, and a kindergartner to say the pledge. I type up the script and we practice it and go live, all in the span of 30 minutes.
Our new-ish PE teacher (2nd year teacher) wanted to help with the broadcast, and the principal wouldn't let him run it but would allow him to assist me. Sigh. Help like this I do not need. He rarely comes on time (the studio door is always locked and I've instructed the students not to even LOOK at him if he tries to come in after we've started) and even when he promises to work with the students before the broadcast he finds other things to do. Today, he came in as the pledge leader was leaving. Whatever. There was nothing I could do at that point to keep him out. The kicker though, was that his cell phone rang--twice--during the broadcast. I am rolling my eyes still! Then he started whispering to the cameraman, who knows what he was saying, except that he was the closest thing to the microphones and guess what got picked up?!?!
When the broadcast ended, I just walked out of the studio and went in my office and closed the doors. He knew I was mad at him. He even emailed an apology. I am choosing not to accept it right now. He makes my job harder, and THAT I do not need!
I had some pretty blunt words for him after school when he tried to come in again and apologize, and I do believe I shocked him. He needed to hear it, and even if I feel slightly bad about being so direct (calling him a screw-up and a colleage I could not count on), he deserved it. Maybe it'll sink in (I'm certainly not the only one frustrated with him) this time.
Sigh. What do you do when a colleague lets you down?

No comments: