Saturday, December 19, 2009

Snowed In and Loving It!

A fabulous, beautiful, blizzard-ish snowstorm is still raging outside, more than 24 hours after it started on Friday evening. We have over a foot of snow, maybe close to 16 inches or so. It's hard to tell because of all the blowing and drifting. It's the most snow I've seen since I was a little kid. The dog loves it, and since our last two days of school (next week) have already been cancelled, I love it too!
We are enjoying some adult beverages and movies on TV this evening, after spending the day baking cookies and finishing up the tree skirt. I'm sure I haven't written about the tree skirt yet, but it is all because we got a second Christmas tree this year. I decided to make a tree skirt for it, and I am this close to being finished. At this point, it just needs the band around the edging and it'll be all ready to put under the tree. Phew! I wasn't exactly sure I'd have enough time to finish it, but thanks to all this snow, I do! The gift of time. It's my favorite gift of all.
Our Christmas party scheduled for tonight was wisely cancelled by us yesterday, when the snow was just starting. Certainly, we would've ended up cancelling it today if we hadn't already done it. The roads aren't passable at all. We haven't seen or heard a plow yet, although this neighborhood is, I'm sure, at the bottom rung of anyone's plowing ladder.
Not having school on Monday and Tuesday is a special treat indeed. Although it's too bad that all of our holiday festivities have been cancelled, at least we get two full weeks of Christmas vacation. Yea!
I am sure that my principal is thankful for the extra time with his family. He sure does work hard. After my observation a couple of weeks ago, he turned around a four-page evaluation of it in less than a week. And I know I wasn't the only person being observed, either. That's some serious dedication. The evaluation was very positive, and I am realizing now that it's been a long time since anyone had critiqued my teaching. It totally felt great to be told that I was doing things in a sound way.
I showed off my eval to my sisters and father, who were unimpressed and impressed, respectfully. My sisters, who are convinced that I am teaching in some second world area of our state, made fun of me for even being excited about it. Whatever...I feel like hanging it on my wall at school!

No comments: