Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Updates

So I think my observation went really well. The principal uses this method where he writes down everything we say and then justifies (or not) why we say stuff. I think it's called the OATS method (Observing and Analyzing Teaching). I have to meet with him to go over the lesson, but he's out tomorrow, so we'll see if there's time this week. He came in during a second grade class and we had just gotten started. I read aloud a Native American legend to them, and then we all went to the tables to continue our research stations. So he saw me in whole group and then in small group settings while the kids were in their research groups. It will be interesting to talk with him about it, having not had an actual lesson observation since at least 2003! He left a note on the table that read, "You are the real deal. You are the kind of teacher I want my own kiddo to have." What more do I need to hear? I love Christmas time! Even though we try to be sensitive to all beliefs and customs (and I'll let the music teacher take the lead on that--"Hanukkah, or Hanukkah!"), I really have fun with two particular lessons this time of year. In fifth grade, I read them O. Henry's The Gift of the Magi and then we discuss and watch a dramatic retelling of the story. It's so funny to see the kids' faces when they realize what the couple has done, and it's also interesting to hear the connections they make to the story. A Korean student told me today that she has the story at home in Korean, and one of the boys remembered seeing a similar Disney version. Awesome! The other lesson I've been enjoying is sharing Robert Sabuda's holiday pop-up books with the fourth graders and then making an "evergreen" tree card (whatever...) following the instructions on his website. So so so much fun, and also so so so interesting to see which kids get the hang of the pop ups and which don't. There should totally be a state learning standard for following directions! I just love this time of year--relaxing just a bit (post-bookfair) and having fun with the kids.

No comments: