Friday, January 14, 2011

The Most Important Need: The Need to Learn | Edutopia

The Most Important Need: The Need to Learn Edutopia I love this article. So what I needed to read, especially after I heard about two brothers at my school (different last names) who are moving out of their grandparents' home and into a house with their aunt, who will now be a single parent to seven--S.E.V.E.N.--children. If all I did for those sweet little boys was offer them a place of solace and a place to explore their interests, then my job is done. My heart is breaking. We have another student, a first grade girl, whose mother moved out right after Christmas. Just up and left the family--did not even tell them she was leaving. That poor little girl, coming to school with hair that her father desperately tried to brush and style and outfits that *almost* matched...I hope that she had a few moments of peace in my library where she was able to forget about her problems at home and get lost in a good story.

No comments: