Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Gravy

A got an email today from a fellow elementary librarian who said he was burned out. I am feeling kind of bummed out now because he is obviously not loving what he's doing at his school. His exact words are, hold on--I'll copy and paste them from his email--"I'm getting tired of trying to convince teachers that I am capable of doing something meaningful with their kids." Hmmm...I have been thinking about this comment all evening. On one hand, I understand what he means. The year we opened our school, I was doing an explorers unit with third grade, and one of the teachers said, upon looking at the research packets her students completed, "Wow! These are the same explorers we study!". No lie. That comment made me realize that teachers don't automatically know what librarians do. I thought I'd explained my job to them, thought that my asking for curriculum maps indicated that I'd be teaching along with them, thought that they'd know my time with their classes was meaningful. Apparently, I overestimated something--what, though?--myself, teachers? I am not quite sure. On the other hand, there are some teachers who treat me as an integral part of their curriculum. They ask to collaborate on lessons or ask me to focus on certain things with their students. They understand what I do; they know that library class is a meaningful part of their students' day. Recently, one teacher who had spent many, many hours on alternative (to standardized testing) assessments made it a point to tell me that my lessons had been used in many areas of the students' portfolios to show understanding of different topics. These were lessons that I'd done on my own, lessons I created to correlate with the grade level's curriculum, without any input from teachers. As a librarian on a (mostly) fixed schedule, I don't have time to collaborate with the teachers (since I am teaching their classes during their planning time). I have to come up with my own meaningful lessons and just do them to my satisfaction. If the teachers like them and realize I can help lighten their load a little, that's gravy.

No comments: