Monday, April 7, 2008

Take Me Out to the Ballgame!

I have had such a fun time this week with the fifth graders reading "Casey at the Bat". I showed them several illustrators' versions, and then I read Christopher Bing's aloud. I met him back in 2003, and even though he's a Red Sox fan, he signed my book for me. After reading it, I went back and clarified much of the text for the kids. "The rest clung to that hope which springs eternal in the human breast": this phrase got giggles almost every time!!

Then we did a readers' theatre of the poem, and the kids were really good about it!

Every class had the same reaction of disbelief when I got to the end of the poem. How could they not have heard it before? I think this might be my greatest contribution to the education of children.

No comments: