Sunday, October 9, 2005

Illuminating

Being in three different schools every week has taught me a lot. I have learned, most imporantly, that we really have no idea what goes on day-to-day in each other's libraries. In one of the libraries I see three times a week, SO MUCH more can be happening. The collection hasn't been weeded in years and needs it BAD; the shelving scheme makes no sense whatsoever; who knows what's going on during class time. I do now. And my eyes have been opened to the huge differences among programs at our schools. More oversight is needed. Students are not being served equally. Students, in fact, are being done a disservice at at least one school. It makes me mad. In other news, I am preparing centers for my new library. I will have them at tables for the students to do after they check out or if they can't check out. This will be an exciting addition to my program.

No comments: