Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Handing Over the Reins

Wow.  So many emotions today! I went to my new school yesterday and spent a couple of hours looking around at the books and the setup and the mountains of accumulated stuff that I will have to trash.  It was really overwhelming.  I don't even know where to start, there is so much to do.  A good friend of mine was the librarian there many years ago, and there is still stuff there with her handwriting on it.  Yikes.  And that's just the stuff.  That's not anything that matters, like, you know, lesson plans, or books, or students.  Everything I look at is just something to deal with so I can concentrate on what really matters.  I'll be spending a lot of time there in the upcoming six weeks, for sure.

I went to a reading conference today that was pretty good.  Not great, but then again, when I keep my expectations low, I usually say that.  I saw some librarian friends there, and that was great, as always.  I saw a colleague from many moons ago when I first became a librarian, and that was awesome. We caught up on all our mutual friends and even snapped a selfie (sorry, not included here!).

Then, and this was such a wonderful thing: the librarian who is taking over the library at the school I'm leaving was there, and we got to talk for a few minutes.  Oh, I feel relief knowing that she will be the librarian there.  I was so worried that my replacement would be someone brand new to the library world (not that there's anything wrong with that) (I know--I was that person once, too) who wouldn't appreciate the great shape that library is in.  I am a little more at peace tonight knowing that it will be in good hands.

Tomorrow morning, bright and early before it gets ungodly hot, I will be moving the last of my stuff out of my old school and into my new one.  It's really just still hard to believe that it is all happening. Wow.

No comments: