Sunday, January 13, 2013

Immi's Gift

This was my favorite state award nominee book, so I saved it for last.  Our school just launched a 26 Acts of Kindness program, and it was so awesome to hear the kids make that connection to the book. So I read it 18 times. I didn't get tired of it, not once.  What I especially loved was how the kids responded when I read the last page.  Every single class of second graders gasped.  They totally got it.  Some of the first grade students got it--I heard a few gasps.  Not one kindergartner got it without a little explanation.  But that's okay--I assume it's a developmental thing.

I had a few different activities to go along with the book, but every class ended up doing the same thing, which was to draw and color one of the things that Immi got from the sea.  Then we put all the items (ahem...maybe not all of them) on my K-cup igloo.  I can't believe I forgot to take an "after" picture. 

I'll take one tomorrow and upload it to this post, but for now, here is the igloo before we decorated it.  I collected K-cups from my own home and from my assistant's.  We had almost half of the cups pictured below! (yikes) Then I had to ask the teachers for help.  Thank God for caffeine-addicted teachers! I had the rest of the igloo completed in two days! The igloo in all its K-cup glory:

Ok, so you can see all the kids' creations on the snow around the igloo.  I hot glued most of them to the igloo and even inside it.  That picture will appear below (after I take it tomorrow!).
It came out so cute--I just love it! The kids enjoy looking for their object on the igloo, and if they don't see it, I tell them it's on the inside!  (I couldn't fit them all on the igloo.)


No comments: