Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hello? Hello? Anyone home?

That's how I felt today. I made phone calls for the better part of the afternoon, trying to get in touch with parents about their children's overdue books. I think I talked to four parents in person, and they each had no idea that their child still had books checked out. I left a bunch of messages, but the worst thing was the sheer amount of phone numbers that are disconnected or changed.
I am interested to see how many books come back tomorrow. I hope it is more than several, but those are high hopes, I know. Some parents just don't care. Their kids don't care, and I know where they got it from.
Some kids are just so glib when I ask them about their books, and it makes me want to scream. Just bring the damn book back, kid!!
We have no recourse at the elementary level in getting books back. At the middle school level, kids can't go to school dances, or field trips, or all kinds of good things. Here, I got nothin'. I have even asked teachers to send me their kids during recess so they can write a letter home, and I think I've had about 7 different kids this week. That's it.
Please, please, God, let some more books come back tomorrow.

No comments: