Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Awesome Bob Shea

I am just so excited to barely know Bob Shea.  What a fun author and wonderful person he is.  Of course, I've known about the Dinosaur vs. ________ books for a while now.  As an aside, I think I need to let the Merriam-Webster people know that "verse" as in "What else can the dinosaur verse?" should be added to their dictionary.  I cannot tell you how many students say that.  I've found myself saying it, too.  There's just no other good word for the present-tense-single of "versus." 
So this whole interesting story started when Dinosaur vs. Bedtime was picked as a 2012-2013 Virginia Readers' Choice (VRC) nominee this past spring.  I started studying up on it in order to present ideas for using it in the library at our state librarians' conference (which was a few weeks ago).  Then I discovered Dinosaur vs. the Library, which, as a librarian, is at the top of MY list.  I brought my copy to the National Book Festival in September and Bob Shea signed it. Score!
While I was getting my book signed, I mentioned one of my students, L, who came to the library looking specifically for Dinosaur vs. Bedtime.  I felt so bad, because she was so wanting to read that book.  It was at my house (where I was preparing for the VRC presentation). I also mentioned that L is battling leukemia, and misses a lot of school because of her treatments.  Truth is, I have seen her only a handful of times because she misses quite a bit of school. Anyway, Bob says to me, "Email me her name and your address, and I'll send her a signed copy."  Just like that. 
So it took me a few weeks to email him, and then Superstorm Sandy got in everybody's way, but last week, a package of books--not just one book, mind you--arrived for L at my school.  We were so excited.  Her teacher cried.  I cried.  I'm pretty sure my assistant cried.  Presenting L with the books was just such a joyous moment--thank you, Bob!


So this past rotation, we've been reading Dinosaur vs. Bedtime.  The kindergarten and first graders are loving it! My voice is taking a beating with all the roaring, but we are having so much fun.  After we read the book, the kids each come up with their own idea for Dinosaur vs. ___________.  They write and draw a picture.  So many cute ideas! Here are a couple of pictures of my favorites:
Dinosaur vs. Zombie Kids. (Zombie Kids win!!)
This one cracked me up.  Dinosaur vs. the Principal.  Check out
the phonetic spelling of principal.  And look at his crossed arms!
 
My total favorite--can you tell what it says?
Dinosaur vs. Barack Obama, of course!
You can probably tell by the President's face who won that battle...
Roar!  Thanks, Bob Shea, for a great week in the library!

No comments: