Sunday, May 27, 2012

Weekend in Rome, pt. 2

So I already can't remember where I left off writing about this weekend. I think that I did not mention our very good fortune to get tickets for mass this morning with the Pope. David, the coordinator of the CUA program here in Rome, got the tickets for us. There was no cost for the tickets, but you had to have one to get in. We left this morning at 7:30, took the metro to the Vatican, and were seated just before 9 for the 9:30 AM mass. They said the rosary just after 9, so I got one of mine out. Then, when mass started, WOAH!! First, all the lights turned on, second we heard applause and cheering, and then, we saw the procession. We were seated to the side of the altar, and we had a great view of the Pope whenever he was at the altar. When he was sitting, though, like during the homily, we could not see him; he was between two huge marble pillars that blocked our view. The mass was completely and totally amazing and awe-inspiring. The music was fabulous--beautiful chanting and also great instrumental pieces, and the organ--HOLY COW!! The box that held some of the pipes was as big as my house, for sure. The mass lasted 2 hours, but it really didn't feel that long. The Pope rode some sort of scooter in, but i couldn't see the bottom of it. A million priests came out for communion, and there was no rhyme or reason to getting communion. Very disorderly and unlike the way Americans do it!
the line to get in

 

After mass, we went as a class to a local restaurant for lunch. Delicious pasta. Delicious everything. I started with a ball of buffalo mozzarella atop greens and tomatoes. Served with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Totally great. I ate the whole ball of cheese. And all the vegetables. So delicious.

 For my next course, I had pasta with sausage and red sauce. Also delicious. Then I had some sort of Nutella mousse thing, yummy. And we all finished with limoncello. Even me, hater of lemony things. Tried it. Liked it.

Then we came back to the hotel, and my roommate Megan and I went up to the terrace to do some writing. Mostly, we talked and didn't write. Then, she went off to meet some people, and I came back to our room for a nap. That was great. Carol and I went for dinner at a pizza place nearby--fabulous. White wine tonight. I wasn't terribly hungry, but the company and the great food did it. I got a pizza with anchovies--so good and salty. And here it is 11:34 at night, and our class starts tomorrow morning at a very nice hour of 10:00, so I can sleep in a little. We will be walking to our class site, which is a few blocks from here. Europeans walk EVERYWHERE. I like it, but I am not used to it! I am not able to upload pictures from my ipad to blogger, so I'll have to wait until I get home to do it from my PC. Beauty abounds in Rome.

No comments: