Tuesday, February 21, 2012

How Many Ways Can One Hate a Book?!?!

So today I read The Big Elephant in the Room to kindergarten and first grade as part of our state's Readers' Choice nominees list.  I did not love this book when I first read it, but I try to leave my own opinions out of it when reading to the children.  There have been several books I have not loved that the students absolutely ADORE, so I was hoping I was wrong about this book.

Nope.  I set up the book before reading it to the kids--they knew all about idioms and knew what was meant by the phrase "the big elephant in the room."  Then I read the story.  Not one laugh.  Anywhere.  From any kid.  When I finished, one girl started to clap, but I stopped her--it was a half-hearted clap, like "I usually do this after a story, so I'm doing it now."

And I looked at my assistant and said, "epic failure."  I've never said that about a book before.  I completely bagged the activity I had planned for the book and instead went on to read another book on the list to them.

Ugh.  I am not happy.  I do NOT want to read this book to other classes. It's a bad story of a bad friendship between two donkeys. Yeah.  I'm done with this one. If the kids ask me why I didn't read it to them, I'll encourage them to check it out on their own and let me know what they think.  I know what I think, and it's not good. Lane Smith, Joan Kindig, and the VRC Committee, this is a big miss.

No comments: