Thursday, October 16, 2008

I Got the House All Smoky

A first grader told me just about the funniest story I've ever heard yesterday. Last weekend, he got his house "all smoky." When I asked him what happened, he told me he was making grits. My eyes got huge and I said that he shouldn't be using the stove. Well, he looked at me like I had two heads and said, "I'm not allowed to use the stove! I put them in the oven." Of course. He put grits in a pot, added some butter, and put them in the oven at 500. His brother (who is 8) turned down the oven to 200, but that wasn't hot enough, so he turned it back up. The grits got all stuck together "like a pancake" and the pot exploded, he told me. I reminded him that one doesn't make grits in the oven, and once again, he looked at me like I was crazy and said, "I've been watching my mother make them for years. I KNOW how to make grits." This was just about my favorite story ever.

No comments: